This is a pretty funny (and true, I have to admit) list of terms used in the startup scene, be it Boston, New York, or Silicon Valley.
Stephanie Kaplan, Co-Founder & CEo of Her Campus Media, tells us what commonly used phrases really mean, so that next time you think you got that VC interested, think twice. For example:
- We’re swamped right now: 1. I can’t deal with you right now; also: You’re annoying me (See: “Check back with me in 6 months”) 2. (In rare cases) We’re actually super busy right now.
- This week is crazy for a call, so why don’t you just shoot me some ideas via email?: You are not worth taking the time for a phone call.
- That sounds really interesting: I have no idea whether your offer is good for my company or not, so I’m going to say the most neutral thing possible for now until I talk to my advisors.
- Our web team is slammed right now: My technical co-founder is really busy.
- Let me check with legal: Let me put the phone down for a minute and ask my co-founder.
- Let me check with accounting: Let me put the phone down for a minute and ask my co-founder.
- Let me check with the web team: Let me put the phone down for a minute and ask my co-founder.
Check out the full article, “Entrepreneurese 101” here.
Ha. Some of this applies to regular business as well, except the last three.